27 November 2009

Getting Kids into the GIVING Spirit

As a online and brick & mortar store owner, I have my kids around LOTs of retail items, and mostly toys, no less. I will say, for the most part, they are very good about knowing what is OK to play with and what is for sale, and NOT OK to play with.

I do struggle, however, with how to teach my 3 and 6 year old boys the importance of giving back. So, I did what any good parent does, and researched to create my strategy.

A few of our ideas:
  • We like to give each kids a (very modest) budget for 'checking off' those on the list closest to them. We encourage them to either pool their money for that special item, or use it to buy craft/art supplies to make their gifts. Framed artwork, special school projects, handwritten poems or letters always mean so much more (and sentimentally worth more) than anything purchased for any amount of money.
  • Volunteer as a family for money collections, donate your time at a food bank or soup kitchen. Show kids that these can be fun and rewarding ways to 'give'.
  • Have kids help pick out a "Heifer International"(or similar organization) gift or other gift that keeps on giving (that is, donates a certain percentage to a good cause)
  • Have a discussion about all of the things (maybe some that we take for granted) you have as a family or as an individual, and help kids recognize that 'having' isn't only about material things.
Here are a few great articles that shine light on how to enlighten kids on the art and rewards of 'giving'. (and there are endless articles)
As adults I feel it's important to practice restraint and NOT to purchase everything on your child's 'wish list' whether you can afford to or not.

Getting Kids into the GIVING SpiritSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

1 comment:

  1. Great article wonderful ideas. My kids love to give they always looks forward towards the giving. We try to find an Angel Tree every Christmas to buy for a child that has less. Also we choose one of the kids christmas picks to give for toys for tots. My daughter uses plain paper bags to wrap she decorates them with her drawings. I always notice my grandmaother saving the bags so she can put them up on the frige later.

    ReplyDelete

Enter Contest here